Have you been wondering what oregano oil can do for you?
Oregano oil is widely used today for health and wellness purposes, you will be amazed by what it can do for you. Oregano oil is an all natural remedy with endless health benefits and with outstanding potentials for our day-to-day well being.
You can agree with me, it is frustrating to see our families dealing with unnecessary health issues. So tired of fighting endlessly for good health and recoveries. For a general healthy living and well being, Oregano is my go to doctor. You will always find oregano oil in our cupboard.
What is Oregano?
Oregano is a highly respected herb in the health industry. The oil of oregano is extracted from the oregano leaves and plant. It has a myriad of health benefits that include the ability to protect the immune system, detoxify the body, improve digestion, prevent chronic diseases among others.
Some people use the herb as a spice without knowing its health benefits. It is a native of the Mediterranean, Europe, and Asia. It has been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years. The leaves of the oregano are the most common part used. The leaves have a strong aroma. However, it is ironical that the aroma is much greater when the leaves are dried than when fresh. The oil can be used topically or internally depending on what is ailing you.
How Oregano Works
Origanum vulgare which is another name of oregano is composed of a great variety of beneficial compounds. Compounds like thymol, Carvacrol, terpinine and cymene which are of valuable biological effects. These compounds or composition of oregano, in simple words, turn to attack bacterias from their very roots and hosts. Weakens the presence of the bacteria and eliminate any form of the bacteria in our system and bloodstream. Leaving you healthy and free from unwanted bacterias causing us to fall sick.
Oregano oil is well known for is antimicrobial effects. The Carvacrol presence in oregano oil provides a microbial benefits and has successfully proven to stand tall and break the cell membranes of bacterias found preventive from our immune system.
Oregano oil, when consumes fights bacterias even right to our blood stream and topically to relief the outer skin from infections.
Oregano Oil Benefits
Oregano Essential Oil has outstanding health benefits. I will be talking about the Anti-fungal, Antibacterial, Anti Parasite and Antiviral, Antioxidant, Emenagogue and Anti-allergenic benefits of Oregano Essential Oil.
Medical research on oregano oil holds strong, oregano essential oils effectively protects the body from many different fungal infections, and more efficiently than clotrimazole which is a widely used anti-fungal drug. Fungi infections can cause painful, ugly and even deadly diseases in most sensitive parts of our body like ears, nose, tongue, and throat which not taken care of early can reach to the brain and become much more aggressive.
Using oregano regularly helps to protect the body from these fungal infections. A common symptom can be a white coat on your tongue and in most part developing different types of infections. They cause deadly damage and if not controlled early it can be fatal.
Oregano protects you from bacterial infections. You turn to have an added level of protection against some bacterial diseases when you use oregano essential oil. It has antibacterial properties because of the presence of thymol and carvacrol. They help to defend the body against a wide range of bacteria that affect different parts of the body such as the colon and urinary tract. In addition, it stimulates the production of white blood cells.
The white blood cells speed up metabolism. As a result, it is easier to recover from an illness. It has been researched and proven in 2013 that Oregano oil has potent antibacterial effects against over five types of bacteria. Oregano oil kills Escherichia coli (involved in food poisoning), Staphylococcus aureus (commonly known as golden staph), Salmonella typhimurium, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Bacillus subtilis (widely known as hay bacillus). A research published in Microbial Ecology in Health and diseases concluded that oregano oil kills off E.coli, bad bacteria which can cause food poisoning.
It is most common with many who travel overseas to get attacked with a parasite. Parasites use the human body as a carrier of communicable diseases and as a source of food. When ingested oregano helps to eliminate internal parasites like tapeworms and roundworms from the body. When applied outside, it gets rid of lice, mosquitoes bed bugs etc. It is for this reason that it is used in many insecticides.
Oregano provides protection against viral infections. It improves your immunity against diseases like measles, colds, and mumps. It also stimulates the production of white blood cells which are used to fight other infections.
This is the main reason why oregano is known worldwide. With Oregano essential oil, the most important characteristic is its antioxidant attributes. It protects the body from free oxidants and from the damage caused by these oxidants. As a result, it protects the body from aging and certain cancers. It also prevents diseases caused by premature aging like loss of eyesight, wrinkles, hearing and nervous disorders.
The phenols contained in oregano completely frees the body from the free radicals that cause diseases. Oregano oil is considered one of the best top ten antioxidant existing today. In a research done in MN, USA, it was derived that oregano essential oil has a high level of antioxidant activities than even the normal vitamin E.
Allergies are caused by the body’s reaction towards an external stimulus. Oregano provides relief to allergic reactions. It also calms down the sensitivity of the body towards external stimuli. It is ideal for allergic reactions like swelling of the throat and anaphylactic shock.
Inflammations are caused by the body’s reaction to toxins, injury or infections. Oregano is used to sooth both internal and external inflammations. It reduces pain and redness to the area applied. When consumed, it also has the same effects. It easily spreads throughout the body to reduce pain and discomfort.
Oregano regulates and delays the onset of the menstrual cycle. It is ideal for people that suffer from obstructed menses. It helps to reduce the symptoms of oncoming menstrual and balance the hormone responsible for moods.
More Health benefits of Oregano Essential Oil can be seen as it;
- Increased Energy Levels
The B vitamins in Oregano speeds up the metabolism process. This ensures that the body is rejuvenated and energized.
- Improves The Body’s Defense Mechanism
It increases the body’s defense mechanism against cold or sore throats. For effective results, mix it with a glass of orange juice. To completely eliminate the symptoms, take it for 5 days
- Cures Gastrointestinal and Bronchial infections
The phenol components found in Oregano act as antibacterial and antispasmodic agents to stimulate the flow of bile in the gallbladder. It is for this reason that it is used to treat urinary tract infections, menstrual cramps, arthritis, and respiratory tract ailments.
- Improves Digestion.
Oregano contains fiber which is good for digestion. Fiber is an important component of your digestive system. It stimulates peristaltic movement. It also improves nutrient uptake from the food that you eat. In a study carried out in Kafkas University, it was stated that plant extracts like oregano oil are known to activate the secretion of enzymes for the digestive system.
- Detoxify The Body
Oregano contains organic compounds like calcium, iron, manganese and vitamin K which help to detoxify the body. It speeds up the functioning of the liver speeding up the process of toxin elimination.
Oregano essential oil has been used to heal eczema, nail fungus, yeast, warts, acne, menstrual issues, tinea versicolor, ear Infections, cough and bronchitis, oral issues, dandruff, arthritis, joint, and muscle pain, athlete’s foot, flu and cold, psoriasis and other infectious ailments.
It can also be used in treating bacterial infections like giardiasis and food poisoning. Can also be used for animal care, insect repellent, immunity, aging, allergies and can read more below;
Oregano Oil For Menstrual Issues
I have experience with oregano and there exist many success claims with oregano but there is insufficient evidence from scientifical research for some conclusions and uses of oregano.
Therefore more research or evidence are still being carried out to support some claims with oregano.
Safety Concerns with Oregano Oil.
When Oregano is consumed in quantities normally used in foods, it is likely safe. When using oregano for the first time to the skin, it is advised to use concentrations of not more than 1% to avoid irritations. Leafs of oregano can be safe if appropriately take by mouth or applied to the skin as medicine.
Medical interactions with Oregano
Many ask the question if there are interactions with medications? Yes, oregano can exhibit some reactions or interactions with some medications. You must take precautions with the following combinations;
Antidiabetes drugs (Diabetes medication):
Oregano is known to reduce blood sugar. Taken medications for diabetes alongside wit oregano can cause your blood sugar to move too low then as required.
Here are some medications for diabetes to be sure; pioglitazone (Actos), insulin, metformin (Glucophage), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), glimepiride (Amaryl), rosiglitazone (Avandia), and others. You will have to verify with your doctor.
Medications taken to Slow blood clotting:
It is not really advisable to take oregano when taken with anticoagulant or antiplatelet drugs taking oregano when on such medications can increase bleeding and bruising.
You might want to be on the lookout for these drugs when using oregano; enoxaparin (Lovenox), warfarin (Coumadin), heparin, aspirin, dabigatran (Pradaxa), dalteparin (Fragmin), clopidogrel (Plavix) and more you can verify with your doctor.
Oregano interactions with herbs and Supplements
The same applies to herbs and supplements that can lower blood sugar and herbs and supplements that can slow blood clotting.
Some herbs or supplements that can lower blood sugar levels may include Siberian ginseng, Panax ginseng, psyllium, horse chestnuts, guar gum, garlic, fenugreek, devil’s claw, bitter Mellon, chromium, alpha-lipoic acid and many more
Some herbs or supplements known to slow blood clotting can include danshen, clove, garlic, ginkgo, red clover, ginger, angelica, turmeric, panax ginseng, horse chestnut and many more.
Oregon can interfere and reduce or decrease the absorption of zinc, Iron, and coper.
Oregano might interact with lithium. Oregano can decrease the level at which our body gets rid of lithium and can cause serious side effects. Talk to your doctor if your taking lithium as your lithium dose might need a reduction.
Oregano Oil Dosage
What dose of oregano oil can be used?
Unfortunately, there hasn’t been enough scientific information to confirm the appropriate doses and ranges to use oregano oil. Well, many oregano lovers have taken the extra mile to try and test oregano oil and share their experience of what they achieved and it has been helpful. I have mentioned some dosage and usage of oregano oil on this page…
An appropriate dose will greatly depend on several conditions like health, age, many more to consider before using oregano oil. You must not forget natural products may not be necessarily safe and taking the right dose is of prime importance for the best experience. You have to always read the labels and guides about the oregano oil you purchase and I always recommend you talk with your doctor or a healthcare professional before using oregano oil. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should avoid using oregano oil.
Oregano oil is often used topically, internally or diffused. It is very important to make sure the oil is 100 percent natural organic and therapeutic grade oregano oil. You should make sure it is a USDA Organic certified oregano oil and most importantly 100 percent pure and unfiltered.
It is always important to mix oregano oil with a good carrier oil of your choice before applying on your skin. A good carrier oil can be Olive oil, coconut oil or even jojoba oil. Mixing oregano oil with a carrier oil helps to reduce or limits the risks of irritation and some adverse reactions.
Well, the dosage intake of oregano oil also depends greatly on the issue or condition you are using oregano oil for. Oregano oil exists in capsules forms for internal uses and it is strongly advised to take around 600 milligrams of oregano daily. This can either be in two to three doses.
Another traditional but effective means of using oregano is by making your self some good oregano tea. There exist pre-made oregano tea ready for purchase or if you are growing your own oregano all you need is just 15 grams of oregano leaves in hot water of about 250 milliliters and for about 10-15 minutes.
I particularly take 3 drops of oregano oil diluted in a glass of juice for 14 days max for a general wellbeing. Oregano is advised to be taken for a short period of time due to its strong potency level.
If you have any experience with oregano please share here and I will put it up for others to benefit from.
Oregano Oil and Pharmaceutical Antibiotics
Can you take antibiotics with oil of oregano?
From my experience, I can conveniently say it is important and always best to sort natural options and remedies first before trying pharmaceutical drugs for health issues. Firstly, at any point in time you can obtain or achieve the exact health benefits using a natural product of any kind compared with using a pharmaceutical drug, I would prefer using the natural product.
We should not forget the questions we are always faced with when taking antibiotics. Being it pharmaceutical or natural. We are always concerned about overuse and how effective in damaging the harmful bacterias and to what extent it damages the good bacteria as well.
Natural products oregano oils are presumed to do less damage to the microbiome than pharmaceutical drugs. From the very fact that oregano oil has been able to be effective in treating certain health issues as regular antibiotics are just a positive indicator. But we should not forget that high oregano oil doses will work as an antimicrobial. This implies, it kills bacteria, but in a more gentler manner than pharmaceutical antibiotics. But I have not been able to come across any research stating the extent to which it kills good bacterias.
An article published by the Wall Street Journal supports the fact on how numerous antibiotics are being prescribed wrongly and how the broad spectrum antibiotics turn to kill both the good and the bad bacteria in our bodies.
Also, from the American Academy of Pediatrics, empahasis were made known on the inappropriate prescription of antibiotics becoming a matter of concern. Our communities today are suffering due to the wide spread of infections resistant to antibiotics. It was concluded 30% of prescribed antibiotics were not necessary in the United States and an alarming rate of 50% for just respiratory tract issues.
A handful of some reasons to why using oregano oil can be considered a better choice than some pharmaceutical antibiotics.
- Prescription antibiotics are very strong and are common to killing even the good bacterias in our system. Good bacteria which can facilitate digestion and regulate our moods
- Oregano oil is considered to be of little harm to the microbiome due to the fact that it is natural and made of many other compounds
- Pharmaceutical prescription antibiotic drugs are formed from a single compound which enables bacteria to easily overcome, sometimes turn around and adapt to the antibiotics.
- Bacteria face the difficulty to adapt to oregano oil because it is made of several compounds like thymol, carvacrol, which helps over the long run with antibiotic resistance.
- Antibiotics are seen to differ from the various types of infections and the manner or ways in which they cure them.
- Oregano oil can be considered a “one-man” army antibiotic which is effective in healing and killing several known bacteria
- Oregano oil is a go-to product as it is cheaper than other prescription antibiotics.
How To Make Oregano Oil
Oregano can be made at home but the process is lengthy. First, boil water and then mix it with oregano leaves and carrier oil in a jar. An example of carrier oil is olive oil. When the jar is placed in hot water, the oil heats up and releases natural oil from the oregano leaves. The jar should be placed under the sun for two weeks. You then strain the resulting mixture. READ MORE
Some studies and researches on oregano oil.
- Oregano was concluded to be a natural and inexpensive alternative to pharmaceutical antibiotics when presented in treating a side range of infections. It contains antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties. (1)
- A study which investigates the effectiveness of oregano oil against Murine Norovirus (MNV) considered a human norovirus surrogate establish findings of the antiviral characteristics of oregano oil and its properties against MNV. Which goes a long way to prove the negativity of oregano in exhibiting the existing side effects caused by Pharmaceutical antibiotics. (2)
- It was also successfully concluded that the Antimicrobial activity of carvacrol and active property of oregano oil can act as a natural preservative in food and cosmetics as it supports the conventional antimicrobial profile. (3) Another study published by International food reserve journal concluded oregano extract was effective for microbial load reduction and increase the shelf live of meat products (3a)
- From the journal of medicinal foods, a study was concluded with the affirmation of oregano oil against several bad bacteria which shows a high level of anti-bacterial characteristics. Most importantly towards the deadly E. Coli food poisoning virus. (4)
- A study published by the US National Library of Medicine indicated the concern to replace synthetic chemicals with natural products containing bioactive characteristics. It was concluded Oregano oil from Portuguese exhibit potential properties to replace synthetic chemicals found in certain products. (5)
- A study which was published with the Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia concluded that oregano oil posses the potential to assist pathogenic fungi. (6)
- Studies have also shown that oregano oil’s carvacrol and thymol play an active role in fighting bacteria infections causing earaches and toothaches. Acute otitis media was cured experimentally with rats during this study over 56% – 81% of the time. (7)
- A study published by the International Journal of clinical and experimental medicine concluded that the carvacrol, phenol contained in oregano oil can fight against the toxicity caused by methotrexate in rats. Methotrexate is known for its bad side effects. It is also known to treat illnesses like cancer and many more like rheumatoid arthritis. (8)
- A research carried out by the Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy confirm that the antimicrobial characteristics of carvacrol in Oregano oil can prevent and limit the increase of bacteria pathogenicity during the high level of oral Iron therapy. Preventing the prevalence of the salmonella an intestinal bacterial pathogen. (9)
- Informative studies concluded the positivity of the properties found in oregano oil used to treat athlete foot (Tinea Pedis). This was tested with several essential oils and oregano was seen as the most powerful in fighting the bacteria associated with athlete’s foot. (10)
- In a research conducted by the Global Advances in Health and Medicines, it was deduced that antimicrobials are more effective than a regular treatment of SIBO (Rifaximin). It was concluded that the herbal microbial treatment was more effective and can provide an alternative to treatment to rifaximin non-responder patient. (11)
- After a study was carried out over a case of 14 patients diagnosed with enteric parasites, Endolimax nana, Entamoeba Hartmanni and Blastocystis hominis. These patients showed positive signs after administering 600mg of emulsified oregano oil daily for 42 days. There was complete healing of Entamoeba hartmanni for four patients, Endolimax nana for a single patient and Blastocystosis hominids from eight patients. A decline in Blastocystis and a Gastrointestinal improved symptoms in other patients with Blastocystis hominis. (12)
- On a study done by the Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, it was concluded that the ethanolic property of oreganum vulgare carries potent cytotoxic, antibacterial and antioxidant activities. Mostly attributed to the existence of the isomeric phenolic constituents, thymol, and carvacrol. This helps to eliminate oxidative issues, reducing mutagenesis, aging, and carcinogenesis as a result of its free radical activities. (13)
- Another study successfully proves the use of oregano oil and thyme in treating Colitis greatly reduced the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Generally, help to limit the colitis (An inflammatory bowel illness) (14)
- Some studies were able to derive a conclusion on using oregano oil for healing common respiratory issues, rheumatoid arthritis, and tumor growth. The antioxidant, antibacterial, and chemopreventive presence could play a vital role as a bioprotector agent. (15)
Side Effects of Oregano Oil.
What are the side effects of oregano?
Oregano works without serious side effects. However, some people complain of stomach upsets after using oregano. People that have allergic reactions to plants of the Lamiaceae family like mint should avoid using this oil. They may develop an allergic reaction. Children, pregnant and nursing mothers should avoid using oregano oil. Oregano induces menstruation, it may be dangerous to your unborn child. Try oregano today and see how beneficial it will be.
People with diabetes should use oil of oregano cautiously as it reduces blood sugar levels. Also, people with bleeding disorders, Oil of oregano can step up the risk of bleeding. Most importantly anyone preparing for a surgery should stop using the oil of oregano 14 days before surgery as it might increase the risk of bleeding. You can read more advice on using oil of oregano
Where To Buy Oregano oil?
You can buy oregano oil from leading nutrition shops and major online stores like Amazon, Walmart. If you do not want you can make one. It, however, takes longer. Make sure to always choose the 100% pure organic therapeutic grade oil.